Artist's Prayer


Give us Your daily Inspiration
So, we can live a Creative Life.
And lead us away from self-doubt,
For to doubt our creativity
Is to doubt Your Voice within us.
Amen.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Creativity As A Spiritual Practice

I have noticed that until I had begun to treat my creative self-expression with reverence for something larger than myself flowing through me, my artistic journey had been marked by a continuous 'stop-and-go' pattern. I realized that relying on my ego, or the composite of opinions about myself, as a sole guidance for my creativity, can only lead to more painful frustrations and disappointments...

Brush stroke by a brushstroke, I hesitantly placed one foot in front of the other, and, to the biggest surprise of my life, I let IT FLOW.... I slowly realized that it's not about GETTING 'THERE' to the creative well, but that my only responsibility is NOT TO STAND IN THE WAY and, one-by-one, removing anything that may obstruct the flow from its complete unlimited expression. Then, and only then, I can be a clear channel for FearLESS creation, abandoning any regard for the end result, 'the product,' and embracing the process instead.

Here's what's finding its way through me right now. I've put an additional layer of extra heavy gel gloss onto the collage, I placed tiny buttons onto the hearts of flowers' petals, I gesso-ed over the thick layers of paint-gel mixtures, looking to a continuation (not a new beginning) of a previous wooden panel work. I want to collage a couple of pieces of hand-made paper I got @ Dick Blick with a printout of old Sanskrit texts (first preserved with Archival Varnish). Once everything's in place and the underlying texture becomes visible through the fragile layers of paper, I'll add some 'time colapse elements' ie.: gel texture-simulating layers, color glazes, and embellishments... but I don't really know what will happen until it's finished.





No comments:

Post a Comment