Artist's Prayer


Give us Your daily Inspiration
So, we can live a Creative Life.
And lead us away from self-doubt,
For to doubt our creativity
Is to doubt Your Voice within us.
Amen.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Musings On Humility

American Heritage Dictionary defines HUMILITY as 'being free from pride and arrogance.'

I believe that too often we may only see one face of humility and, then, at other times, we mis-perceive humility for arrogance, particularly in our creative self-expression... let me elaborate with a couple of examples.

This afternoon I had an experience in which all my beliefs about how 'immune' I am internally to be free from getting engaged in 'jealousy games' were tested and my final score card is waaaay below the 'passing minimum.' Just as I thought that, after all the years upon years of inner work, I would be able to overcome my own temptation to chase the 'get-even band wagon'.... Well, I didn't despite the overwhelming awareness of the situation. Here I am, sitting in my humility that beacons as a reminder of lessons not yet mastered, silently showing me my own humanity... yet I try to hold on to my awareness and stay present praying for a precious hope of a future 'graduation'....

Another 'course' of humility took me most completely by surprise and here's what I've learned this morning. When it comes to exercising humility in our creative self-expression the popular message, often clothed in the garments of authority, anonymously and unanimously declares 'the level' of our creative ability, AKA 'talent.' And herein lies the hidden arrogance - since our creative gifts are NOT of our own making, but instead are bestowed upon us to be freely expressed THROUGH us, we can't 'trademark' them as our own property and attempt to control their expression. That's arrogance. In this instance 'playing small' is NOT humility.... Humility recognizes that we must let creativity flow forth BECAUSE we are ENTRUSTED with this task as something Larger than ourselves is at work. I know that it may seem a bit confusing on the surface because we're so used to believing that we're 'too small' to be a vessel for the Sacred. Perhaps a question to ask ourselves is 'who do we think we are to usurp a right to stand in the way?'

In remembrance of my own humility I've been working today on this tiny piece depicting the word 'Namaste' in English and Sanskrit. Namaste, in a general translations, means: The Divinity Within Me Honors The Divinity Within You.

Offering 20 personal development and spiritual growth programs at Higher Awareness


1 comment:

  1. I love your creative spirit, I'm following yourblog, hope you'll check mine.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete